Getting the Look: The Vamp Lip
Many of us can rock a smoky eye or a raven mane with no problem, but a vampy lip is another story. I think I speak for most of us when I say that seeing a tube of lipstick more than a two shades darker than our skin tone can cause some serious butterflies. We are often either too timid to pull it off, or worry that the color is too high-maintenance. This season it is time to overcome our fear and embrace the goth-inspired look, a la the fall 2012 runway. Having recently made an attempt to branch out of my usual nudes and pinks, I found the dark lip to be surprisingly wearable and lip-enhancing. To take the guesswork out of finding your most flattering shade, choose the celebrity that has the closest match to your skin tone below and follow my suggestions.
1. Fair Skin Tone
If you have an ivory complexion like Rooney Mara, be careful not to go too dark, otherwise the color will wash you out completely. Look for a lipstick with a red undertone for the most flattering look.
1. DuWop Twillight Venom
2. Nars Lipliner Pencil in Amazon
3. TOPSHOP Lips in Hazard
2. Medium Skin Tone
A wine or burgundy hue a la Ashley Olsen will compliment your skin. Those with blue undertones should look for a cooler, true red, while those with yellow undertones should opt for a warmer shade.
1. Bite High Pigment Matte Lip Pencil in Tannin
2. Beauty For Real See the Light Illuminating Lip Gloss in You’re in My Light
3. Stila Lip Enamel in Ecstasy
3. Olive Skin Tone
If you’re like Camilla Belle, a brown-based mahogany lipstick will suit your natural tan. Avoid anything with too much of a pink base.
1. Urban Decay Super-Saturated High Gloss Lip Color in Apocalypse
2. Babor Classic Lip Color in Red Lips
3. MAC Cremestick Liner in Red Enriched
4. Brown Skin Tone
If you have a caramel complexion like Rihanna, a raisin or plum shade is a suitable option. Select one with a hint of gold or a warmer red-purple, as opposed to a blue-based shade.
1. Fleur’s Sourire Clandestine Lip Gloss in Amaryllis
2. Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain in Dark Berry
3. H.wood.beauty Lip Shine Stick in Plum
5. Black Skin Tone
With your dark complexions you can get away with a variety of hues, ranging from maroon to near black, as evident by Jennifer Hudson. Select a purple-based color as opposed to brown for a bolder look.
1. Urban Decay Lip Junkie Lipgloss in Perversion
2. Purely Pure Cosmetics Lip Gloss in Venom
3. TOPSHOP Lips in Beguiled