- Penny Pincher Fashion is looking for some autumnal fashion inspiration, and rich jewel tones are just what the doctor ordered.
- Cobalt is definitely the hot nail color for fall – this ombre nail art from The Nailasaurus is sure to make you stand out.
- I’m loving Sammi’s back maxi and gold chain combo over on Beauty Crush
- Rainy days got you down? Fellow OTY contributor, Rebecca, shows off a couple cute looks for when the weather is less than perfect on her blog, By Rebecca Louise
- If you’re looking to make a high-necked top more flattering, look no further than Cotton & Curls latest tutorial.
- These DIY glitter cards featured on Stripes and Sequins are perfect for upcoming birthday and cocktail parties alike.
- I’d love to invest in a beauty box subscription – but in the mean time, Blushing Noir has the low down on this month’s GlossyBox.
Do: Apple Picking
If you didn’t catch my hint from last week’s WWR, it’s apple picking season! Arguably my favorite time of year, late September is the perfect time to grab some girl friends and hit up a local farm. Make sure to check what’s in season, so you know what to whip up once you’re back home.
Wear: Jeans | Flannel | Scarf | Watch | Bag | Socks | Boots
If you’ve decided to spend the afternoon outdoors, keep warm in a flannel shirt and boots. Layer up with a cute, simple scarf and add a classic watch for practical style.
Watch: Your Favorite Fall Shows
This past week meant the arrival of our favorite primetime shows. But with our week days getting busier as fall progresses, it makes sense to lean a little on your trusty DVR. Whether you’re tuning into Glee, New Girl or The Office, take this Saturday to enjoy them with a bowl of popcorn by your side.
Sip: Mulled Cider
Homemade or store-bought, either way, mulled cider is the perfect pick for a cool fall day. Pick up some mulling spices from your local grocery store and put a pot on the stove – you’re kitchen will be smelling heavenly in no time.
Moderately priced handbags that are cool, of quality, but avoid becoming trendy to a point of irritating ubiquity are not easy to come by. It’s like you either need to drop a few benjamins on a PS1 or head to H&M for a $20 thrill. Where’s my middle ground?
The bulk of the product on the e-shop seems to range from the $50 – $100 mark (which is fine by me!). There’s a tight selection, but they manage to cover all fields from little statement cross-bodies to classic structured totes for us city girls on the go. Plus, I have major respect for a small company that gets tons of coverage (there are literally thirty pages of clips in their press section) but still manages to stay close to its roots without going to big too soon.
So – we’ve already given you the rundown of our favorite fashion and beauty moments from the Primetime Emmys, but this year’s red carpet broadcast added a little something extra to the usual flurry of lust-worthy gowns and Louboutins. Enter “The Mani Cam.” Thanks to E!, we were given a close up of our favorite celebs fingertips. While some starts opted for the classics (shout out to OPI’s Lincoln Park After Dark!), others chose to have a little more fun. For this Emmy edition nail art tutorial, we chose to spotlight two of our favorite designs: Zooey Deschanel’s TV thumbs and Julianne Hough’s glittery tips. Follow our editor Calli’s list of simple steps, and you’ll have award-worthy nails in no time.
“This season, I’m all about volume when it comes to dresses. I think this is a great coffee to cocktails type of piece to play with for fall. I’d wear these with a pair of flat boots and a thick cardi at the office. Then for night, I’d play it up with some laced up booties and some bold jewelry.” -Kelly, OTY Fashion Editor
Everyone has their own opinion when it comes to red carpet style, and at this year’s Primetime Emmy Awards our favorite celebs were all over the map, sporting everything from sky-high hair-dos to slicked back buns. Yesterday our fashion editor gave out her Emmy style superlatives, so today I’ve decided to give out some awards of my own – in the beauty department. Below you will find the best beauty the Emmys had to offer, along with a look that one star should have, errm…left at home.
Okay, I’ll admit it, I didn’t actually watch the Emmys last night (I don’t have a television and therefore had to “watch” it vicariously through my Twitter feed – which is actually pretty effective by the way). I did, however, make sure to scroll through all of the red carpet photos of my favorite actresses to check for some style inspiration. Below are my 2012 Primetime Emmys Awards Red Carpet Superlatives with some winners, losers and major shockers…
- The hilarious Leandra Medine from the Man Repeller blog tells us what trends we’ve gotta try from the runway, including all sorts of hats and seriously kooky gladiator sandals.
- Aerin Lauder has finally released her own line of products, and Into the Gloss has the scoop on her top beauty picks.
- Happy first day of fall! Now’s the time to grab a friend and get apple picking. Once you’ve got the goods, try this roasted apple spice cake from Smitten Kitchen.
- Oh Joy gives us a list of what she’s loving at the moment, and we agree that those vintage coat hangers are to die for.
- A Beautiful Mess reminds us that we can help out the environment while also looking adorable. Take a peek at her steps to giving your bike a makeover.
- Cheetah is the New Black is headed to London – take a look at what items make the cut.
- That’s Chic shows off some stunning interiors in her weekly rundown.
- The City Sage is lusting after wood & leather chairs, and we couldn’t agree more.
Watch: The 2012 Annual Primetime Emmy Awards
The Emmys are definitely one of my favorite award shows – what’s better than seeing all your favorite TV stars squeezed into one room? With host Jimmy Kimmel promising some “genuinely weird stuff” at this year’s awards, you can bet I’ll be glued to the television from red carpet to closing speech.
Wear: Blouse | Jeans | Earrings | Necklace | Nail polish | Watch | Bag | Booties
It can be hard saying goodbye to summer, but ankle boots and autumnal shades of denim make the transition into fall a little easier. Choose a thin blouse and delicate jewelry to keep your outfit from getting too heavy.
Sip: Cinnamon Hot Chocolate
Martha Stewart has taught me many things over the years, the most important of which is how to make a great cup of hot chocolate. Although I can get down with Swiss Miss, there are few things better than a cup of cocoa from scratch. My favorite flavor involves cinnamon, a little bit of ancho chili powder and a blender…
I’m a sucker for any sort of recipe-based publication, but Gather Journal goes above and beyond the basic culinary mags you’ll find on your local news stand. With thick, durable pages featuring endless food photography, this bi-annual journal makes it impossible to pick what you want to whip up first. Don’t forget to check out their website to learn a little bit more about the editors, listen to their hand crafted mix tapes, and as the website commands: “Turn it up and dig it.”
Image from backseatcuddler
How can I tell if a piece of jewelry is of quality? If it lasts on this reckless girl for over a week. (I swear I’m cursed. It’s like every bauble I buy breaks within 7 days or less.) So you can imagine my surprise (and satisfaction!) after wearing a necklace from the newest jewelry e-tailer in town, Gentry, for over a month now without it suffering from even the tiniest scratch. And, it was only $30.
Jewelry is an ample accessory available on the Internet these days (Forever 21 practically hands out bracelets at a little over $1). It’s a saturated market, so when you find that middle ground in a product that actually lasts for more than three wears without instantly shattering and doesn’t drain your entire bank account with one purchase, you’ve hit solid gold. Gentry may be extremely affordable (almost everything on the site is under $50) but it’s also a small company that genuinely seems to care about bringing something awesome to the fashion masses. I even received a personalized, handwritten note thanking me for my purchase when I ordered that necklace.
The collections are well-edited and less overwhelming to sift through than say, the crazed jewelry overload experience that is shopping on a Bauble Bar (love you guys, but seriously, take it easy!). Right now, there are a lot of understated, simple pieces like these skull cuffs (yes, the skull obsession continues) or solid statement pieces with pops of color like this aqua encrusted bracelet. Take a look for yourself and tell me which pieces you’re lusting after in the comments!