Spring Cleaning Your Makeup Bag
To many, spring cleaning your makeup bag can seem like a chore – or in bags as big as mine, like torture! While torturous, cleaning the makeup bag is a must because it helps you get rid of old makeup that can cause skin breakouts or worse. However, cleanup doesn’t have to be stressful, and with these tips can be quick and painless!
- Dump It: You’ll want to dump out everything you have so you can see what you’re working with. Nothing fancy, a big shoe box should do the trick. Everything gets dumped except for brushes, they go in a separate container.
- Something Smells: Go through all your makeup and perform the “smell” test, in which if it has a foul odor (or just doesn’t smell fresh any more), you know it’s time to toss it.
- Live No More: To everything there is a season, and makeup surely has expiration dates. Toss out anything that is past it’s expiration date or the following rules of longevity.
- Mascara – 3 months OR if it’s dried out
- Foundation – 1 year max (take precaution if you use your hand to apply)
- Powders/Blushes/Lip Gloss,Stick- 18 months max (But don’t push it!!!)
- Nail Polish- 1 year max but toss it if you see it’s getting old
- MakeUp Sponge- 1 month max (It needs to be washed each time)
- Place them in a cup slightly filled with water with a bit of shampoo.
- Swivel them around, rinse and lay out on a towel horizontally. CAUTION: DO NOT lay your brushes vertically with the head up because water will seep into the glue and destroy the bristles.